Tuesday 10 March 2015

Building Confidence Without Makeup

Living without makeup can be hard, but having a bare face shouldn't stop you from walking out of the house. Makeup used to act like a mask for me, I had very bad skin and didn't feel comfortable leaving the house without wearing a full face. Now I have built up my confidence to the point where make up is something fun and exciting, instead of a chore.

I really believe that everyone should be able to feel comfortable in their own skin, personally, I went down the 'cold turkey' route. I gave up makeup almost completely for a good 4 years. I believe that doing so helped me build confidence in my own skin, and makes me a happier person. So, I'm going to share a few of my tips and tricks to ease yourself into wearing less makeup.

I am not, in any way, saying that everyone should stop wearing makeup. Makeup is an amazing thing. I just believe that everyone should be allowed to feel comfortable in how they look, and being confident without makeup is a huge step in building confidence in yourself!


1. Remember, Makeup Should Be Fun!

The most important thing to remind yourself is that makeup is something that should be fun, you should be able to be creative and wear crazy makeup looks, or spend hours applying it and having fun. However, it shouldn't be something that takes over your life, unless you count spending all your money on new makeup goodies.

2. Try A More Natural Approach.

It's obviously a lot easier to ease into it rather than just jump in, that's how I approached the task. You could simply try wearing a more natural 'no makeup' look, and work from there. Try toning down the level of coverage, for example, wearing a BB cream or powder foundation occasionally instead of full coverage foundations. I also started dying my eyelashes in place of mascara for a long time, I found that dying and curling them provided enough length and darkness that I was comfortable with how I looked. Another benefit of this is that the health of my skin and eyelashes improved drastically when I cut down on my makeup wearing. 

3. Invest in Skincare.

It's a whole lot easier to feel comfortable with the way you look if your skin is looking healthy, when I first gave up makeup I invested a lot of my money into my skincare routine. I think this made the transition a whole lot easier, and as my skin became healthier my confidence rose. This will also give you a chance to get to know your skin a little bit better.

4. Try Limiting You Products.

Tell yourself you're only going to use 5 makeup products, then stick to it. You'll find you'll choose product that cover the areas you're most insecure about. Then, start cutting down the product slowly. My everyday routine tends to be under eye concealer and a setting powder, as this is the area I'm most insecure about. Once I was able to fully pinpoint my insecurities, it was a lot easier to overcome.

5. Go Out Without Makeup.

You don't necessarily have to spend the whole day without makeup, but if you're going out to the shops or somewhere similar, consider leaving without any makeup. Making small trips without any makeup on really helps build up your confidence, and it will be such a good feeling when you're finally brave enough to spend a day in college or at work without any makeup on!


I hope this helped someone, if you have any suggestions or tips please leave them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment